Tuesday, January 20, 2015

"He shall choose our inheritance for us."

We have been in sunny California for over a week now and we were supposed to head back today, but decided since we didn't have to be anywhere just yet, we'd extend our trip for a little more family and sunshine time! :) 

I'm finally getting used to the idea of moving to Canada. It kind of struck me tonight that I have not been the most willing and excited Christian to go on the journey the Lord is leading us on. We listened to a couple sermons by Tim Keller today that I think finally instilled that in me. It was a good reminder to me today that God doesn't mess up and have a plan B. He leads us in his soveriegnty and today I am realizing that it appears to be in Canada. I have had this half in half out attitude that wants to stay in the states and is waiting for the Lord to mysteriously open up a church in the US. As we go forwards with making decisions I'm realizing how selfish that is.  I keep wanting him to guide and lead us, yet in my own mind I still have a slight pull that God couldn't want us in Canada right? Wrong. The Lord has made it clear at this point as he has provided us with two wonderful opportunities to serve His people as he chooses! 

Last year in a bible study at Reedemer, I was really hit with the idea that I have ways in which I want to serve God and yet those aren't always they ways in which I am able to because of a particular season in our lives, be it location, lifestyle/family, etc. but just because I am not serving God in that way, doesn't mean im not serving God, nor does it mean I just stop trying. It's selfish to think we can serve God the way we want to. I am reminded again of that today as we look on to see Gods providence beautifully leading us towards something new. He has been so faithful to us throughout our endevours and its was an amazing reminder to see his grace leading us to a church in Canada. 

The Lord is constantly teaching us to follow and now I pray that we can joyfully follow and not follow hesitantly. Serving His people where He has called us, what could be better! To God be the glory!

I leave you with this devotion by Spurgeon that we have come back time
 and again in the last year and half...a beautiful reminder of Gods good plans.

"He shall choose our inheritance for us." 
Believer, if your inheritance be a lowly one you should be satisfied with your earthly portion; for you may rest assured that it is the fittest for you. Unerring wisdom ordained your lot, and selected for you the safest and best condition. A ship of large tonnage is to be brought up the river; now, in one part of the stream there is a sandbank; should some one ask, "Why does the captain steer through the deep part of the channel and deviate so much from a straight line?" His answer would be, "Because I should not get my vessel into harbour at all if I did not keep to the deep channel." So, it may be, you would run aground and suffer shipwreck, if your divine Captain did not steer you into the depths of affliction where waves of trouble follow each other in quick succession. Some plants die if they have too much sunshine. It may be that you are planted where you get but little, you are put there by the loving Husbandman, because only in that situation will you bring forth fruit unto perfection. Remember this, had any other condition been better for you than the one in which you are, divine love would have put you there. You are placed by God in the most suitable circumstances, and if you had the choosing of your lot, you would soon cry, "Lord, choose my inheritance for me, for by my self-will I am pierced through with many sorrows." Be content with such things as you have, since the Lord has ordered all things for your good. Take up your own daily cross; it is the burden best suited for your shoulder, and will prove most effective to make you perfect in every good word and work to the glory of God. Down busy self, and proud impatience, it is not for you to choose, but for the Lord of Love! 
"Trials must and will befall- 
But with humble faith to see 
Love inscribed upon them all; 
This is happiness to me." 

No comments: